The concept of the Allan Herschell Company building complex as a museum originated in a grass roots effort by the local community to return a Herschell carousel to the area. The Carousel Society of the Niagara Frontier, Inc. was chartered in 1982 by the New York State Board of Regents to collect, preserve and interpret artifacts and archival materials from the carousel, band organ, and amusement ride industries on the Niagara Frontier.
The Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum is located in the original Allan Herschell Company factory complex at 180 Thompson Street in North Tonawanda, New York. The building, which is listed on both the New York State and National Registers of Historic Sites, is a series of seven interconnected structures which once housed all of the manufacturing components of the factory. The Allan Herschell Company shipped its first ride from this factory complex in 1916.
Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum is a member of the Western New York Library Resources Council.